 CAD / 11752
Re: STL File for 3D Printing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 02:49:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jason Spears wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:
   I’d like to have a few LEGO bricks 3D printed at SIGGRAPH this year. I have a contact who is willing to print up the bricks for me using a StrataSys machine [1].

Cool.

   Can someone please create and send me an ASCII STL file of a 2x4 brick?
Also, any other neat parts that would print up. I’d love to see if the machine can handle one of these:

Hmm.. tricky. I know the machines we have in our model shop at work could handle those, not sure about the StratsSys machine though.

   Simple VRML files will work also. Please email me with your files and with any questions.

I can get you stl files, no problem. Feel free to email me a grocery list of parts you would like. So long as they aren’t too complicated, I should be able to model them up during the week and send you all the files you’d like.

Jason Spears | BrickCentral | MichLUG | CLB

Dear Jason,

I am also interested in getting an stl file of a 2x4 brick as well as a 4x4 plate. What I would really like is to create a 6”x6” or 12”x12” base plate out of 1/4” acrylic plexiglass (or hardrock maple) for a project I have in mind. I have a really cheap cnc machine and supposedly have the software to take a stl file and create a 3d model out of it. Never have used it because had no desire to learn how to create the files and not enough money to buy a scanner to do so. But if I had a file, I would like to give it a try. If it worked, might be just the thing for small runs of custom parts.

Tommy Armstrong HPT Designs (the brick engraver guy)