Subject:
January 28th, 2006 SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 00:45:24 GMT

The nxt SMART meeting is going to be January 28th. This will be our 5th
anniversary!

The mini-challenge is to build a drag-racer. The robot cars will have a 12-inch
wide lane to travel on, with a 3/4" black tape line in the middle to follow.
Cars must stay in their lane the entire time. The race will be from behind the
starting line (also marked with black tape), to the end of the tape line, and
back again. There will be 6" of surface beyond the end of the tape line, but not
more than that. It is up to you whether you build a car that turns around, or
just reverses direction (or some other more interesting scheme, perhaps?)

The length of the course will not be known ahead of time. It will be at least 8
feet long, but may be as long as 24 feet, (or perhaps even longer?). The ONLY
way your car will know that it is at the end of the race course is by noticing
that the black tape line has ended! Robot cars must reach the end of the piece
of tape before coming back to the finish line.

There will be two lanes beside each other, and we'll run the robots together to
see which one gets done fastest. In order to have a fair start, you must use
Program #1 on your RCX as the program to start your race car. The RCX must face
forward, and we'll use a remote control to start the robot cars at the same
time.

This year we will be putting on a robotic display at Crossroads Mall on Easter
weekend again. (That's April 15th.) We'd like to have as many people participate
as possible. There will be two robotic activities that we will be displaying.
First, the Robotic Easter Egg Delivery System. Just like last year's arena,
we'll have a large space for robots to search for chocolate Easter eggs, and
bring them to kids. You can read about last year's event at
http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/?n=321 where you will also find details of
the arena.

The second activity will be a Crate Contraption which will be combined with a
Great Ball Contraption. We'd like to have as many linear Ball Contraptions as
possible. The rules for what a ball module must look like can be found at this
site: http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/. If you haven't received balls yet, and
would like to participate, I'll bring some more to the next two meetings.

We'll describe these events more at the meeting.

Finally, at the SMART meeting we'll describe what this year's Grand Challenge
will be. If you're interested in a more difficult robotic challenge, and
especially one where you can refine your robot over the course of the year, this
is the thing for you!

We'll look forward to seeing you at the meeting. We'll have something special
for our 5th anniversary, so we'll look forward to seeing you all there on the
28th!

--
  David Schilling