Re: January 28th, 2006 SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:19:06 GMT

Hi Ben,
Looking forward to hearing about CES.  I'm not sure if you got David post before
or after you made your post.  I just saw your post even though it looks like it
was time-stamped a few days ago.  Not sure what's going on.

Anyway, here is my attempt at a line art for the layout:

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GJansson/SMART/Meetings/Jan28-2006/dragrace.gif>>

I'm not sure if there will be a line between the lanes, that one may be
imaginary.  I'm also not sure how much room is given to the robots at the start
before the start line, my hope is that it will be adequate for any reasonable
robot.  Maybe two feet, though a 2' robot might have a hard time turning around.
So to answer your question, the robots do start behind the start line.

I suggest that you program your robots so that it goes straight until one or
both sensors sees the line, then continue straight until the one of the sensors
doesn't see the line fully (i.e. off the start line), then line track until the
line ends.  I'm assuming that you are using at least two sensors.  If only one,
then just straight for whatever amount of time needed to go at least over the
start line, then search for the line to continue tracking.

I'm not exactly sure when I will show up for next weeks meeting, I will have to
juggle some other responsabilities at the same time.

Gus