Re: NELUG BrikWars questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 07:04:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Josiah Nicely writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:
Though if you typically moved troops in squads or 5 or 10, and only
broke them up when they were in combat situations, using more might
be veeerrrryyy interesting!

Good Idea, you're right, could be very interesting indeed. I wonder how long
it would take to finish a Mass Wargame of 200+ troops.

You know, a funny thing I've noticed, is that once all the players are pretty
comfortable with the game, they take about the same amount of time to finish a
turn whether they have 10 or 100 troops.  Each person has a certain amount of
tolerance for detail and how many different things they have going on at one
time.  In a 10-troop game they might divide their army up into five groups of
two with separate objectives, while in the 100-troop game they divide them up
into five groups of 20 and move them all together.  Thinking time (and
checking-the-rulebook time) runs about the same, the only time added is in
mechanical processes like picking up and moving the physical figs and making
die rolls.

I like the idea of a
semi-realistic napoleanic Wargame. Bring the cannons, bring the cavalry,
bring the massed troops, but leave the unrealistic stuff at home.

Yeah, I like the idea too, it's hard to do in BrikWars unless you put a much
greater emphasis on the 'semi' than the 'realistic.'

I set up a musket game the other day (having also just watched The Patriot),
you should see some of my plantation houses (full of great bits like minifig-
scale cast-iron stoves and grand pianos).  The toughest thing about a battle
like this is trying to use authentic tactics.  Marching your men and cannon
out in perfect straight lines to get shot at takes a real force of will - all
you can think about is how they really ought to be looking for some kind of
cover position from which to fire, or at the very least, lying down to present
less target area.  What a bizarre way to run a battle.

One thing I saw in The Patriot that I really wish I could put into BrikWars
were those fancy six-pound guns whose cannonballs bounced along the ground and
neatly removed limbs and heads and torsos as they zipped by.  I haven't
figured out a good way to do the rules for them yet.  Grapeshot and chain
loads would be a good period addition too, I wish they'd thought to put some
of those in the movie, that would have been fun to watch.

- Mike Rayhawk.

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm