Re: NELUG Brikwars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:57:02 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:
Eric Kingsley wrote:
The proposal is to have a NELUG Brikwars Tournament where we have preset
teams of 2 or 3 people and have a round robin turnament over the course of
a few weekends (probably once a month for 2 or 3 months depending on the
number of teams involved).  We could make the teams randomly but I would
prefer to let people make their own teams. [snip] How do people feel about
this.  Is it something you might be interested in?

It probably goes without saying, but I'm very interested :)

Ditto-- it'd be pretty cool. And as further fodder (the unthinkable)-- what
if units stayed dead? Each game is 300 CP, let's say, and you have a total
of 500 CP for the game (Assuming 4 teams, and 2 battles per team). Hence,
what you field and what you save for next time becomes a trickier play. I
dunno. Thoughts?

There was also much discussion at our last game about future Brikwars games
and events.  I was thrilled to hear several people throw out ideas for games
they'd like to see happen - and in some cases, were willing to take on the
task of bringing them to fruition!  Among the mentioned games:

(1) Another Medieval game, but sans ninjas

Definitely-- although I'd probably like to make some adjustments (like the
ninja suggestion) since we'd assumedly be going for more realism (and less
sillyness, which isn't a bad thing :) )

I think the primary problem with ninjas is spider gymnastics-- I still like
stealth-- but climbing vertical walls and leaping 2 stories up is a bit
much, as evidenced...

Also, I'll admit I think chakrums are rather unbalanced (skill by -1's seems
*way* off), scouts seem a little silly at TL<4, short bows should be better
(as should crossbows), and even though I hate to do it, I think I'd restrict
power to a max of 2.

(2) A Superheroes game ... The stuff Justice Leagues are made of.  Each
person gets one or two superheroes that have a great deal of love and detail
invested, and the good vs. evil battle begins!  [anxiously awaiting new SP
rules]

Definitely a cool idea. Oh, and while I'm going around viciously suggesting
rules: stupendous feats-- In past games we never really had anything bad
happen after losing a stupendous feat roll, which made us a lot more
hesitant to do them. I kinda like the idea of: if the opponent's die comes
up 3 or more *higher* than your roll, you not only fail the feat, but
something bad happens. If it's 1 or 2 higher, you simply fail to do the
feat. Perhaps we could engineer a scale of badness... I dunno.

(3) The upcoming steampunk game ... ooohhhh, ahhhhhh
(4) Wild West - aka Cowboys and [Native Americans] - aka US Cavalry and
   Baddies
(5) Giant Spaceship Boarding battle - in which the ships interior layout is
   designed ahead of time, and each person is responsible for bringing a
   section (a large baseplate, perhaps?  with rooms, furniture, equipment,
   etc, that can be linked up via technic pegs to the neighboring units?)
(6) WWII (again).  Both side have been building their forces, and the next
   skirmish will see Planes, Trains, and Automobiles writ large.

I'm definitely up for these, although admittedly #5 sounds the most
appealing to me... I also love the idea of making it modular so we can all
design parts for it and arrange the ship upon arrival.

DaveE