Subject:
NELUG Brikwars Tournament...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:31:13 GMT

This is just an idea I had recently and I would like to get some feedback.  I
will be willing to organize this but if it happens it won't be for several
months due to the planning involved and the fact that I have several "real
world" deadlines comming up later this year.

The proposal is to have a NELUG Brikwars Tournament where we have preset teams
of 2 or 3 people and have a round robin turnament over the course of a few
weekends (probably once a month for 2 or 3 months depending on the number of
teams involved).  We could make the teams randomly but I would prefer to let
people make their own teams.

My thought is that we could have 2 or 3 games going at the same time if we have
a room similar to the one we played in this past weekend.  I would like this to
be a Tech level 2 tournament.  The playing fields will not be identical but
should be similar.  The games could be goal oriented or just last one standing.
Having a goal is nice but can sometimes tip the balance in favor of one team
or the other so we would have to think about that.

At the end of each game a winner will be declared either buy the teams or a
predesignated impartial observer.  Then the next time the winners would face
off.  This would continue until we had a champion.  (again this depends on how
many teams we have).  I guess I would like to go with 4 teams which would make
this a 2 weekend afair with the 2 winners meeting for the championship and the
2 loosers playing to see which is more a looser.

I would be willing to make a trophy or a plaque that we could even engrave
peoples names on and make it a yearly event.

This is all just roughly thought out in my head at the moment.  How do people
feel about this.  Is it something you might be interested in?

Eric Kingsley