Re: Any Interesting Cars need building?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:46:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:

Hi Eric,

These are great!  I did consider making one of these, but I finally decided it
wasn't really in keeping with the rest of the scene :D  I do plan on putting
one of these together at some point, though ... thanks for the site, it's a
perfect reference!

Well it could always be a display piece/historical site...

I am pleased to report, though, that the aquarium car is coming along great!
I bought some of the trans-blue windows from LEGO Direct, made a glass-sided
car, covered thebottom with brown and green plates, threw in some underwater
foliage, and have a shark cruising around on 1x2 clear bricks.  I even put
some of the Naboo Swamp "seaweed-ish" pieces sticking in the tops of the bogie
plate pegs ... that way, when then train goes around a curve, the plants
appear to "sway" or turn slightly in the "water".

The car sounds great.

Here's a question for people, though.  The peg from the Bogie Plate is longer
than the thickness of the bottom of the railway chassis.  That is, when the
peg is attached to the chassis, there is some allowable movement between he
two in the vertical (peg axis) direction.  Is this standard?  Or do people
typically lay another technic plate on the chassis so that the peg is held in
place better? And is this technic plate, if it is used, generally attached on
the top or bottom of the chassis?

Well I typically don't even use the prefab chassis because they limit the
length of the cars too much IMO.  That being said I only use 1 technic plate
not 2 for my prefab chassis.  I find using 2 creates to much friction.  I think
the "play" you talk about allows for a smoother ride as well but thats just my
opinion.

Eric Kingsley