Re: Any Interesting Cars need building?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:36:42 GMT

Hi Eric,

These are great!  I did consider making one of these, but I finally decided it
wasn't really in keeping with the rest of the scene :D  I do plan on putting one
of these together at some point, though ... thanks for the site, it's a perfect
reference!

I am pleased to report, though, that the aquarium car is coming along great!  I
bought some of the trans-blue windows from LEGO Direct, made a glass-sided car,
covered thebottom with brown and green plates, threw in some underwater foliage,
and have a shark cruising around on 1x2 clear bricks.  I even put some of the
Naboo Swamp "seaweed-ish" pieces sticking in the tops of the bogie plate pegs ...
that way, when then train goes around a curve, the plants appear to "sway" or
turn slightly in the "water".

Here's a question for people, though.  The peg from the Bogie Plate is longer
than the thickness of the bottom of the railway chassis.  That is, when the peg
is attached to the chassis, there is some allowable movement between he two in
the vertical (peg axis) direction.  Is this standard?  Or do people typically lay
another technic plate on the chassis so that the peg is held in place better?
And is this technic plate, if it is used, generally attached on the top or bottom
of the chassis?

.... as always, other ideas are welcome!

-s

Eric Kingsley wrote:

Shaun,

Have I found the perfect railroad cars for you!!!

http://www.railwaygun.co.uk/

Now that should be right up your ally.

BTW Eric Brok has done one of these...

http://homepages.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind/models/trains/railgun.html

I do know that these ranged in size all the way up to a massive 4 rail German
Gun that needed a batalion of men just to load and shoot.

Eric Kingsley

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:

Hi All,

I've got a whole slieu of train wheelbases and couplings and such, and
I'd like to make a car or two for the show (By the way, Eric, I've got
one building already - it needs one baseplate, you can put it anywhere.
It's a 2.5 story white office building). Anyway, can anybody think of an
interesting car or two that I could undertake?  I'm looking for
interesting or unique ideas - one idea I think I'm going to try is an
aquarium car used to ship some sharks or something from the Boston
Aquarium to a local zoo for an exhibit.  Clear sides, some plant life, a
suspended shark, some clam shells ... I doubt it has a real-world
counterpart, but I thought it might be an eye-catching, humorous, or at
the very least ridiculous addition.  I'm also curious as to whether
anybody's done anything tricky using a micromotor to achieve some
animation on a car ... can you get a contact that will continuously
touch on of the metal wheels to parasite power from the track?

Anyway, I'm just soliciting some thoughts, suggestions, or ideas.  I'm
just starting to build some townish things, and I'm still having trouble
thinking outside the "galaxy far far away" and "Europe/Africa circa
1941" boxes ... Thanks in advance!