Re: Any Interesting Cars need building?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:24:38 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:

Hi All,

I've got a whole slieu of train wheelbases and couplings and such, and
I'd like to make a car or two for the show (By the way, Eric, I've got
one building already - it needs one baseplate, you can put it anywhere.
It's a 2.5 story white office building). Anyway, can anybody think of an
interesting car or two that I could undertake?  I'm looking for
interesting or unique ideas - one idea I think I'm going to try is an
aquarium car used to ship some sharks or something from the Boston
Aquarium to a local zoo for an exhibit.  Clear sides, some plant life, a
suspended shark, some clam shells ... I doubt it has a real-world
counterpart, but I thought it might be an eye-catching, humorous, or at
the very least ridiculous addition.  I'm also curious as to whether
anybody's done anything tricky using a micromotor to achieve some
animation on a car ... can you get a contact that will continuously
touch on of the metal wheels to parasite power from the track?

The "Aquarium" car sounds great.  On that line there is always room for a
Circus Train and/or Cars.  Lots of these are just cages on wheels.

As for getting power from the track to the car it is possible.  There is a
power connection on the Train Motor itself so you can use a wire from the
engine to a car to give it power.  Of course this means that any powered cars
should be at, or at least close, to the Engine.  Otherwise you would have to
chain a lot of cars together to get power to the car.  Of course the other
option is to put a battery box in the car to power the motor but that has
serious limitations as well.

Anyway, I'm just soliciting some thoughts, suggestions, or ideas.  I'm
just starting to build some townish things, and I'm still having trouble
thinking outside the "galaxy far far away" and "Europe/Africa circa
1941" boxes ... Thanks in advance!

I know I definitely get myself into a rut sometimes.  I am going to finish up
my Buildings soon I hope and then try and switch gears to vehicles and train
cars.  So far I havn't had lots of luck with vehicles so I will probably try
that next so I can figure them out.

Eric Kingsley