Re: New Gondola and a Commuter Rail station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:48:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Wilson writes:
Eric Kingsley wrote in message ...
Yah actually we will probably all be outside.  The hole is very small • although
1 person could sit in there if they wanted.  I guess the idea is that as we
expand the layout the hole will also get bigger.  If we had made the table
solid it would have made reaching the center of the layout impossible, • hence
the hole.

Are you going to have ropes around the layout? We didn't and were surprised
how well-behaved the kids were; a lot of them clung to the edge of the
table, but I didn't see any grabbing and we haven't noticed anything gone
missing, even minifigs. Occasionally we had to say "don't put your arms over
the track" or "don't touch please" but it was suprisingly little of a
problem. Only real difficulty was it was hard to get to the outside of the
layout if we needed to, due to the people packed round it several deep all
the time :-)  We had a non-publically-accessible "back" to ours.

We did have ropes, and they were constantly getting crowded back into our
layout.  We did have some kids touching stuff on the layout, but only 1 who
did any grabbing, and that got stopped real fast. (He was grabbing at the
bridge!)

One thing we found in hindsight was that cable runs can be a problem. Next
time we plan to pre-specify cable locations and bring them up between the
tables at the appropriate place instead of having them snaking around the
place on top of the baseplates.

We found that to be a problem too.  One of the things we're considering for
next time is putting some grooves in the tops of the tables, so that wires
can run under the baseplates (and track!!) without lifting them.

James