 Trains / 8294
Re: New Gondola and a Commuter Rail station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:25:33 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote in message ...
Yah actually we will probably all be outside.  The hole is very small • although
1 person could sit in there if they wanted.  I guess the idea is that as we
expand the layout the hole will also get bigger.  If we had made the table
solid it would have made reaching the center of the layout impossible, • hence
the hole.

Are you going to have ropes around the layout? We didn't and were surprised
how well-behaved the kids were; a lot of them clung to the edge of the
table, but I didn't see any grabbing and we haven't noticed anything gone
missing, even minifigs. Occasionally we had to say "don't put your arms over
the track" or "don't touch please" but it was suprisingly little of a
problem. Only real difficulty was it was hard to get to the outside of the
layout if we needed to, due to the people packed round it several deep all
the time :-)  We had a non-publically-accessible "back" to ours.

Well we only have 3 people so far that have said they can bring rolling • stock.
I think our group is one of the few that has a very small overall interest • in
the trains themselves.  Thats why I allowed for more space for MOC's and • less
space for rolling stock.  If we have some stuff that won't fit I guess we • will
just rotate it on and off the table.

We only have 2 "train people", me and Dean, but so many other people had a
few bits of rolling stock to bring that we ended up with too much!

Our entire table is going to be covered in baseplates!  Way cool.

Wow! That's a lot of baseplates! I don't know if we're going to be able to
continue to do that when we do bigger layouts.
One thing we found in hindsight was that cable runs can be a problem. Next
time we plan to pre-specify cable locations and bring them up between the
tables at the appropriate place instead of having them snaking around the
place on top of the baseplates.

I don't know if you plan a "dry run" setup rehearsal before the show: we • had
one, and it was very worthwhile.

I don't know that we will have the space or time.  I have all the tables at • my
place but I can't set up more than 3 at a time.  That's one of the reasons • for
being allowed to lay claim to a section of the layout beforehand.  That way • you
know who is responsible for what and you don't have to worry if your stuff • will
fit because you know the size of the space you claimed.

We did the "lay claim" thing too but there were several places where MOC's
turned out to be too close to the track and there were clearance issues -
mostly where the corner of a MOC came too close to a curved track section.

Kevin