 Trains / 8287
Re: New Gondola and a Commuter Rail station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:05:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Wilson writes:
Eric Kingsley wrote in message ...
Both of these will be debuted at the Willmington Massachusetts Greenburg • show
December 2nd and 3rd.  For those that havn't seen it yet you can see our • layout
in progress here.

http://www.nelug.org/layout/

eRIC, i WAS WONDERING SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR LAYOUT PLAN (ESPECIALLY AFTER OUR
RECENT vlc "FIRST SHOW" EXPERIENCE):
(oops caps lock!)

Are your tables 4 baseplate by 4 baseplates? Is this a variation on the
PNLTC standard tables, or have you developed your own?

This is actually a bit of a hybrid.  The table top dimensions are the same as
WAMALTC but the leg design is the same as PNLTC.  The table tops are
40.5"x40.5" which is the same as 4 32x32 baseplate by 4 32x32 baseplate.

That's an awfully small hole in the middle :-) Do you plan to have most of
your club members outside?

Yah actually we will probably all be outside.  The hole is very small although
1 person could sit in there if they wanted.  I guess the idea is that as we
expand the layout the hole will also get bigger.  If we had made the table
solid it would have made reaching the center of the layout impossible, hence
the hole.

Looks like you are color-coding areas of the layout for specific people to
take responsibility for... is that correct? Good idea!

Yup thats it.  Members are able to claim sections of the layout to put their
MOC's on.  Some members have creations but havn't picked spots yet but after
the show I plan on updating the layout plan with the actual display with links
to pictures.

How are you planning
to transport monolithic areas like your main street? (I had an interesting
time transporting a 2' 6" x 4' chunk of scenery for our layout! it was a
PITA). Or do they separate out into smaller areas?

Actually all of my stuff breaks into smaller parts.  Each building in the Main
Street is actuall a stand alone building so there are no large sections to
worry about (at least for me).

You only have 2 small "storage" sidings. We found we needed quite a lot of
"storage" track to display stock not currently running - we had far more
than we expected when everyone brought all they had. We had about 5 times
the siding space you have on the layout and we didn't have enough.

Well we only have 3 people so far that have said they can bring rolling stock.
I think our group is one of the few that has a very small overall interest in
the trains themselves.  Thats why I allowed for more space for MOC's and less
space for rolling stock.  If we have some stuff that won't fit I guess we will
just rotate it on and off the table.

We covered ALL or table space with baseplates (we had a smaller layout
overall, 16' x 6') which looked good but had its drawbacks. Are you going to
use cloth, paint, or baseplates?

Our entire table is going to be covered in baseplates!  Way cool.

I don't know if you plan a "dry run" setup rehearsal before the show: we had
one, and it was very worthwhile.

I don't know that we will have the space or time.  I have all the tables at my
place but I can't set up more than 3 at a time.  That's one of the reasons for
being allowed to lay claim to a section of the layout beforehand.  That way you
know who is responsible for what and you don't have to worry if your stuff will
fit because you know the size of the space you claimed.

Just in case I plan to bring a few extra MOC's if there is some open space but
I highly doubt they will be necessary.

Best of luck!

Thanks,  I personally can't wait.

Eric Kingsley