 Organizations / United States / NCLUG / 55
Re: New Hope Valley Railroad LEGO Train Exhibit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 23:31:16 GMT

Excellent comments - let's keep a good dialog going.

I am okay with ZNAP - I bought four sets for the sole purpose of building
some sort of bridge.  My efforts are on a smaller scale though as my bridge
is only four pieces of straight track long.  I can't remeber which sets I
bought though.  I bought two of the black and red larger set (3552?) and two
of the smaller mostly yellow set.  Right now my bridge is all black with the
exception of the purple and grey connectors.  I kind of like the ZNAP stuff
although I don't expect to buy much of it.  My kids got a kick out of it as
well.  I was really impressed with the fact that the bridge I built without
any LEGO in the vicinity was extremely LEGO compatible.  It is exactly four
track sections long and the 2x2 plate with the Technic pin molded into the
bottom (frequently used in sets that feature a car wash like the Shell promo
set or the Gas 'N Wash Express) work great to anchor the track to the
bridge.  After I do a little more work on it I'll post some pictures.

Cary's comments on a small layout are right on.  One of the reasons for
trying to hook up with the NHVRR was the fact that the space they have for a
layout is an old train car which somewhat prohibits how big the layout  can
be.  This coming Sunday is the first day the NHVRR will offer train rides
this year.  They do it once a month (usually the first Sunday) and also
offer some special holiday rides (like the Santa train).  I am hoping to at
least go out this Sunday and take a measurement of the space so I am not
working from memory (which would be extremely risky).

If everyone who is interested in building tables can post their availability
for a Saturday afternoon/evening in mid to late June or early July we could
probably nail down a building date well in advance.

For me June 10th and July 1sth are not good dates but I believe the rest  of
them are okay.

Mike

--

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh
http://www.nclug.net

"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> wrote in message
Sounds great. If I can arrange to be in town for the June/July date, I'll
gladly participate.

I have plenty of straight track and points that I could bring for a trial
garage setup and a show. My current layout is 3 4'x8' tables that hold as • much
track as I can manage. I have already built out my basement with tables • that
are not the PNLTC style (I didn't know about lugnet at the time), but I'm • happy
to contribute money and sweat to build tables for NCLUG. I can also bring • a
chop saw if that's helpful.

I've been building railway bridges lately with znap; if the majority would • like
some split level or multilevel portions of the layout (and don't blanch at • the
sight of znap), I can certainly help out there. One of my current znap • bridges
is around 6' long and can run two levels of trains and one underneath
(currently 9V, 4.5 V, 9V).

I suggest that the first show have a rather small layout, and perhaps • expand
from there. The tables you would like for yourself should be more than
sufficient. It'd be worthwhile to do some virtual designing before the • physical
get-together, so that all of the track requirements are well known as well • as
how much real estate needs to be populated by whichever members can
participate. Maybe a simplified (smaller) version of Christopher Tracey's • yard
at
is a place to start.

Cary

Mike Walsh wrote:

A while back when we had hoped to do a show at Dorton Arena or the • Raleigh
Civic Center (I can't recall which) we (Frank Filz, James Beerman, and
myself) agreed upon using the PNLTC style wooden tables.<snipped>