 Organizations / United States / NCLUG / 51
Re: New Hope Valley Railroad LEGO Train Exhibit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 11:29:34 GMT

A while back when we had hoped to do a show at Dorton Arena or the Raleigh
Civic Center (I can't recall which) we (Frank Filz, James Beerman, and
myself) agreed upon using the PNLTC style wooden tables.  This makes sense
for several reasons among them it is a good design and there is no reason to
reinvent the wheel (NIH mentality).  Going down the route of building LEGO
modules like the ones being built by the GMLTC or Mike Poindexter doesn't
seem prudent or achievable.  I personally have no desire to tie up that kind
of capital in just the table.

I'd like to propose doing something like the following:

We agree on a date (sometime in June or July) and meet at the Cary Lowes
Home Improvement at some designated time.  Each person will be responsible
for purchasing the materials they need in order to build the number of
tables they want to personally "own".  I would like to have two long and two
short PNLTC tables for myself, possibly more, but at least two.  Once the
material is purchased it would all be loaded into my brother-in-law's truck
for a trip to my garage (or other suitable location) where a team of us
would work together to build all of the tables.  I can envision five or six
of us working together and knocking these out fairly quickly.  The big
benefit to building these all at the same time is that they would all be
done and we could ensure that they all fit together eliminating any
potential misinterpretation of the PNLTC spec (highly unlikely as it is very
good but always a possibility).

I have a big (three car) garage where we could set up shop in rain or shine
and I have some power equipment.  My brother-in-law has quite a bit of
equipment although his table saw was damaged in a freak accident involving a
USPS mail truck running through a garage door (long story, let me know if
you want to hear it).  His joiner is already in my garage.

Assuming we completed in a reasonable amount of time we could set up some
sort of layout in the garage and run a few trains on it although other
people would probably have to contribute some track - I probably have about
30 to 40 linear feet of track and like most people, have a bunch of curves
and not enough straights.  I only have two sets of points as well.  If we
did this on a Saturday afternoon we could probably leave the layout or a
portion of it up through Sunday if anyone wanted to come back and run trains
again.  Couldn't use the whole garage though as I am not going to leave my
MG outside if I can help it.

Lastly, we could use the time after work was completed to hold a small
trading session if people wanted to.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Good idea?  Bad idea?

Mike

--

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh
http://www.nclug.net
"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> wrote in message
I'm willing to build a table or help build a table. Frank has mentioned • that
the table type has already been chosen; I know it's a standard train club
plywood table but I don't recall where the plans are. It'd be great Mike • if
you'd take the lead. Feel free to delegate.

Cary

Mike Walsh wrote:

Looks like we have a date!

We are welcome to display with the New Hope Valley Railway on August • 6th.

Now to build some tables!

More details to follow.

Mike