 Organizations / United States / NCLUG / 102
Re: New Hope Valley Railway Event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 04:02:20 GMT

"James Beerman" <jtbeerm@ibm.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Mike Walsh writes:

"James Beerman" <jtbeerm@ibm.net> wrote in message
I have nothing built except for two steam engines. (both lego design).
I can start building whatever tonight.  I can meet pretty much any day • this
week.  I do have 3 tables that could be donated. 4x8', 2x3', and 3x8'.

Excellent - when I hear back from NHVRY and how much space we have we'll
make a decision on whether to use your tables or the ones from my office.
Do your tables have baseplates on them?  Are they some number of • baseplates
long and wide?

Not now, but I can fill them.
Baseblates are 10"x10".  The 8'x4' can have 4 1/2 by 9 1/2 base plates. • You
can do the math for the rest.

I am back from Boston  and will be able to spend a little more time on this
now.  I have still not heard back from NHVRY on the size of the caboose so I
am thinking on heading out there tomorrow afternoon on my way home from
work.

Assuming the worst and we can only use one of James' tables, (8'x4'), I
threw together a layout  based on a 4 1/2 x 9 1/2 baseplate area.  You can
see what I did here:
http://www.nclug.net/images/events/nhvry_000806/layout.jpg

I tried to make sure there were two loops and some cross over points.
James, since this is your table size, do you have a layout you like?  I
tried to post the Track Designer file on the web but could not download it
reliably.  If anyone wants to do another layout and use what I did as a
start, let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

Can anyone meet for lunch on Thursday?  Cary and I met at the Souper Salad
near Fayetteville Road and I-40 once, it worked out pretty well.

Here is what I plan to bring:

Pretty much all of the trains I have built.  I may leave a bunch of them in
the car or in a box but I will have them with me.  I will bring a box of
monorail track and my Shuttle but I plan to leave the Shuttle station at
home.  At this point I don't envision having the room for it.  I will bring
six buildings (one of which is a Metrostation) and my small city block
(three baseplates long).    I have one crossing (4539) as well.  I probably
only have 24-30 pieces of straight track however I do have three pair of
points.  I have most of my train track in one bucket so it is no big deal to
bring most of it with me.  I will also bring some vehicles, probably around
10 or so, again, most of what I have already built and sitting around here
right now.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com