Re: Largest train car dimensions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:53:33 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Duane Drumm writes:

i want to make car for lucny display. my contribute to group.

Okay, here is my advice.  If you are going to build a car specifically for the
LUCNY display, build it to the tolerances your club uses.  If they run 6 wide
cars, stick to 6 wide.  8 wide, then 8 wide.  Anything that you build that
deviates from the standard may cause problems and run the risk of not being
used on the layout.  Better safe than sorry.

Good Luck.

-John

Duane and all

Sorry you got trampled by the Train guys before anyone local had a chance to
respond.  (Suggestion:  email to Wayne, or John Rudy or me)

Everyone in LUCNY so far builds trains to 6 wide.  Some finished creations are
a bit wider, but mostly 6 wide is what we expect to run if and when we do
shows.  Stock Lego trains are 6-wide so any additional stock we build or modify
fits nicely with this.

Lego is not to [any] scalable size, but stock Lego items suggest a system that
we are happy with for now.  This means:
-- Trains are 6-wide
-- land vehicles are 4-wide
-- airplanes are 4-wide
-- boats and ships can be any width.
I would like stuff to be wider, but that would be unrealistic.  I am not about
to spend big bucks to buy 100 or more 6-wide windshields to convert all of my
Town vehicles and if we all used up our supplies of plates to build 8-wide
trains, that wouldn't leave big plates for much else, I suspect.  4-Wide
airplanes are really dumb looking IMO, but Wayne flat out told me I could not
buy Jack Stone airplanes for the layout.  So unless I can redesign something
for 6, 8, or even 10-wide airplanes we are stuck with 4-wide for now.  Got the
idea?

When we do our first-ever group layout on November 02, we will be usings Lego
road plates and laying track pretty close together and close to buildings and
such.  If you have something that is extra wide, we should be able to set up a
special loop of track for it to run on.

Please don't hesitiate to build wider trains, and please bring your creations
along if you can come to the next meeting.  There are many reasons why we stick
with 6-wide, but that can change.  I have been planning a military train in my
head for a few years, but 6-wide will NEVER work as it would be impossible to
have any heavy cargo that is realistic (Shaun Sullivan's WWII military train
confirms this).  For example, a 4-wide 6-wide sherman tank would look pretty
small and pretty stupid, IMO, so a military train needs to be 8-wide at least.

If you have any other questions, let us know.

__Kevin Salm__