Re: Largest train car dimensions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:03:44 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:H44qy6.8x3@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Duane Drumm writes:
I would like to know the longest and widest train car dimensions
and still have it run properly on a track.

Straight or curved?
curve curve curve or curve straight curve (gives a bigger radius curve)?
What things are around it that it needs to clear?

If you are on straight track, and have no clearance problems there is no
definite upper limit if the car is balanced, it can be as long and as wide
as you like. Practically, I would suspect that things wider than 20 studs • or
so will be very tipsy.

If you are going to run around curves, the center to center distance of • the
two truck kingpins can't be larger than the diameter of the curve which
places an upper limit on length, although the car can overhang the trucks
significantly.

If you go digging in the rtltoronto newsgroup you'll find links to • clearance
diagrams they have done which seem to be reasonable practical upper limits
for length and width and height. Other clubs have went bigger but not by
factors of two or anything.

Hope that helps. If it didn't, ask your question more precisely.

Ok, I sorry. I want to know maximum width. I know 6stud is standard.
What I try to make need to be wider. The car will have to hold something.
It is 10-12 stud wide. Is this too wide is what I need.
Thank you
--
Duane Drumm