Subject:
Layout samples
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:04:21 GMT

Hi All -

I started generating some layout samples that use 5 of the 30x60 tables.
See:

...there's also the puny single table (30x72, I think) layout I used at a
show some years ago.  With that as a scale, I think the 5 table design is
easily attended to by 3-4 people, and any more may be crowded.  That seems
doable for our group size and may be a good place to start and feel like
we're not in over our heads yet.  The single table kept me busy with folks
for the entire show day.

Anyway, layout4 represents the location and orientation of the five tables
to scale with a track design upon those tables.  Other versions represent
some baseplates, building locations, and a Plain Jane version that is the
most flexible.  I envision putting a mountain in the lower right to hide the
two loops in that section - that would cause the casual observer to react to
the fact that the train would not exit where you thought it would.  Not sure
if you see what I mean, but I can explain with more detail later.

I wanted to place a switching yard on the corner, since I don't recall that
being done on other show layouts.  Just a different approach, I guess.
Besides, it lets us stage multiple trains on those sidings there, and each
could be eletrically isolated and automated (of course).  We could park one
train there and let another pass depending on switch settings.  Keeps the
layout moving with minimum of reaching over to stage trains.  Spectators
don't dig that stuff.

Do you have any ideas about these particular layouts?  Would anyone like the
Track Designer file to play with?  Should we use baseplates to cover the
entire table surface?  If so, has anybody won the lottery lately?  :^)

Ed