Re: Layout samples
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:05:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Wayne Sardullo writes:

Now I remember why I did so good in Math when it came to geometry...
Anyhow, I looked over everything so far and said to myself..
I already knew train track takes up space but, after working in the • Automation
switches and crossing as well as #2 train loop. I came up with a layout
then said, Hmmm what about a stocking yard... I'm wondering what you
think.. Its actually one of the original designs I made for our layout • however
adjusted it to size to fit the table.
Take notice how much space this now leaves for our buildings.... :(

I look at this and say its close to a nice balance as far as Train vs.
Building space (IF) we drop the roadplates and just go with (fake) roads..
That means the buildings can be at (Any) Angle....

I have two other less Complex layouts I will post tonight.

Wayne

Okay, I have looked at all the ideas so far and I have many opinions and
some observations, only some of which I will give you now.

John Barnes and Lar are right.  We need some way to have as many trains
as possible running at the same time.  And if we can automate the
switching and have it actually work that would be truly awesome.

Wayne's latest plan -->
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=195196 is good in that
it allows for at least 2 trains to be operating simultaneously. Any more
than 3 trains and whoever is manning the switches will go crazy in a
short time or all the trains will pile up onto themselves.  So I kinda
like this but there will be a crazy amount of switching needed.

Out of Ed's designs, I like #8 the best -->
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=194684  It will allow
for 1 train to run constantly on each loop and have alternate trains on
the sidings to be switched on and off.  I think this plan would allow
John Barnes to fully automate one of the loops for completely hands-free
switching.

Looking at the amount of space for buildings, I am disappointed in all
of the designs.  Consider this:  when using road plates 3 plates deep is
ideal so that you can have ROAD // BUILDINGS // ROAD.
This givs a full baseplate plus some studs from each road plate for
structures like a complete city block which faces the road on all sides
(sorry if this is not crystal clear).

It was brought to my attention at the meeting at John Rudy's house that
this is not always necessary, however.  Just imagine a row of buildings
that face out to the public but do not necessarily have other buldings
behind them or even any back walls.  When I look at Wayne's plan, I see
2 full baseplates on the East and West tables for structures and 1.5
baseplates on the North and South tables.  This seems like adequate
space for buldings as long as they face out to the public and the
backsides are just blank or missing.

As for Road plates--they take up far more real estate than they are
worth.  They can be used sparingly and still look nice.  The remaining
areas can have simulated roads that are much narrower and not confined
to square corners and such.  If we have to buy several thousand Black
tiles for roads then we might have to do that.  BUT, I am not sure how
much space will be saved if we DO NOT use roads and still have simulated
streets--we gotta think about this one.

As far as our supply of baseplates and roadplates--don't worry.  I have
enough to cover all 5 tables and have some left over.  With everyone
else supplying the baseplates for their own buildings we will have no
problem covering the tables with baseplates and roads.
http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/lucny/?n=336

I have never seen a live Lego Train layout in person.  That and my
inability to visualize very well make it hard for me to analyze these
plans accurately.  Since I am going to BrickFest this year I will have a
chance to see a live layout or two which should help me a lot.  Also, I
am opposed to any public layout until this group gets together and does
a practice layout.  I volunteer John Rudy's garage (how presumptous of
me) as long as we give his family ample time to make preparations (clean
up their stuff).

__Kevin Salm__