 Organizations / United States / GardenSLUG / 511
Re: Public Display Tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:00:43 GMT

I missed the start of this thread when it was originally posted, hopefully my
answers aren't too redundant (some will be) or too late.

In lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, Patricia Van Dyke wrote:
We are going to display a train layout at Dover Train show in Nov.  But I have
questions on what to do:
1. What Lugnet lists should I announce it to

I'd post it to lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug for sure
and the appropriate NJ, PA, and Delaware local (lugnet.loc.us.nj, etc.) groups
as well.  Make sure you set your follow ups correctly and note it in your post.

2. Should I try to get catalogs from the local Lego store

You can ask, all they can say is no.  As I noted in another post, LEGO S@H
stopped providing train clubs (and other exhibiting groups) catalogs several
years ago.

3. Should I have GardensLUG contact information ready to hand out in buisness
card form

Yes.  We (NCLTC) have business cards I print up on Avery business card stock
(the perforated type).  One side we have our logo and contact information, on
the other side a list of standard LEGO related URLs including Shop @ Home,
LUGNET, BrickLink, BrickShelf, ILTCO and a couple others.  We found that we were
frequently writing out URLs for people so printing them on our cards has worked
well and people no longer have to try and read my scrawl that I pass off as hand
writing.

You may also want to prepare a FAQ document.  There are a number of them
floating around and most of the train clubs have one in one form or another.
These are extremely useful.  If you have a play area, and I would encourage you
to do so, leave several copies of your FAQ document in the play area.  Parents
will pick it up and read it while their children play.  Many people want to ask
questions but are reluctant to do so.  Having an FAQ document will help out and
will also reduce the number of redundant questions you will be asked.

4. Should I try to get a flyer to put in the local Lego store

Yes.  Again, it can't hurt to ask and I see from your other post that your
initial request was pushed off.  You can ask again.  It probably wouldn't hurt
to take your flyer with you so you can show the store manager what you'd like to
display.  Don't limit it to just the LEGO store either.  I have hung posters in
TRU and many of the smaller local toys stores which sell LEGO.  Man of the
smaller toys stores have a bulletin board where you can tack something up.  You
may also want to display your flyer in local coffee shops, books stores,
libraries, etc.

Here is a link to the posters we used for our last GATS show.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ncltc/GATS2004/posters/gats04_train_show_poster.pdf

I had large versions of the poster at TRU and a Model Train Shop and smaller (8
1/2 x 11) versions all over the place.  I keep a stack of them in my truck and
when I have the opportunity, I pin them up on community bulletin boards.

You may also want to proactively contact your local media (print and TV).  I do
this before each show we do and frequently we get a mention in the paper or on
TV which drives people to our display.

Here is a link to a portion of the Press Pack I sent out for our last GATS show:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ncltc/GATS2004/pr/ncltc_presspack.pdf

5. Am I supposed to send some kind of announcement to Jake or Scott Lyttle

Nope.  If you want your event posted on the LEGO.com/trains Recreation Station
you need to go through ILTCO to get that done.  If your event is in November it
may be too late though.  It takes while to get through the LEGO.com production
cycle to get info posted and they want info 6-8 in advance as a minimum.

6. Am I supposed to get some kind of support from the local Lego store

Nope.  You can ask for assistance but you aren't "supposed" to get anything.
You might start with something simple and low risk for your local store like a
"10% off" coupon which you can hand out at the show.  If you do ask, be specific
and make sure you can articulate what benefit their is for them.

Patty

Hope these answers help.  Doing train shows is a blast.  You may want to
consider joining ILTCO (www.iltco.org) either as an individual or as a club.
ILTCO has quite a few resources and people whose brains you can pick and more
opinions and experiences doing shows than you can shake a stick at.

Mike

North Carolina LEGO Train Club - http://www.ncltc.cc