 Organizations / United States / GardenSLUG / 498
Re: Public Display Tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:38:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, Patricia Van Dyke wrote:
We are going to display a train layout at Dover Train show in Nov.  But I
have questions on what to do:
1. What Lugnet lists should I announce it to

This one, obviously, and the local State subgroup, for starters.  Since it's a
train show, it wouldn't hurt to announce it to .Trains (same thing for any other
theme you might choose to display in any future shows).

2. Should I try to get catalogs from the local Lego store

Can't hurt to try, but I remember hearing within MichLUG that Enfield is no
longer shipping free catalogs to LUGs/LTCs, possibly as a result of the Event
Kit project.

3. Should I have GardensLUG contact information ready to hand out in buisness
card form

Absolutely.  Maybe not in business card form, but in some form that doesn't
require each having each person write it down on their own.  We used to use
full-page flyers, but a couple of the guys on our EC came up with a neat idea to
print out pages of about 4-5 bookmarks.  The smaller size limits the amount of
information that can be included, but that's what websites are for.  It also cut
down a lot on paper waste/cost, which is good for us.

4. Should I try to get a flyer to put in the local Lego store

Even better.  Take any free advertising you can get, within reason (posting
flyers in bars might not be the best idea).

5. Am I supposed to send some kind of announcement to Jake or Scott Lyttle

I believe they do have a standing offer to post show info for LUGs/LTCs, so
that'd be a good idea.  Not required, though.

6. Am I supposed to get some kind of support from the local Lego store

Supposed to?  No, but it's worth investigating to see if you can (most of us
can't, since we live nowhere near the limited clusterings of official LEGO
stores).

MichLUG has a standing To-Do list for organizing shows that has been shared with
other LUGs/LTCs before, but it doesn't seem to be available through the
MichLUG.org website.  I'll bounce a post to the club list to see if someone can
hook you up with a copy.