 Organizations / United States / 237
Re: NELUG meeting report from 12/16/1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:46:07 GMT

2.  Our origional "Mission Statement" - NELUG was initially started with • the
only goal to be to get AFOL's together in an environment that we could • have
adult conversations about a hobby we share.  Please don't harp on me for • the
wording here.  We know that you all share the same hobby and that most of • you
are very mature and converse with Adults fine.  For more explination • please see
#3.

4.  We are not a babysitting service - OK don't throw stone's here we know • you
don't need babysitters but once exceptions start being made this is where • this
can lead.  We don't want to end up having parents dropping off their kids • for a
couple of hours and expect us to monitor them for free.  This is not why • NELUG
started and in my oppinion if this started happening many of the Adults in
NELUG would stop comming to meetings and we don't want that.

Hi Eric,

Just a suggestion, based on the policies of several R/C Aircraft
organizations that I
have belonged to over the years (where safety is a huge concern, consider a
helicopter
model spinning blades weighing over 60grams each at ~1500-2000RPM (tip
velocity
exceeds 240MPH).

No one under 18 at any meetings or flying events *unless accompanied by an
adult sponsor *
(may or may not be the parent, I myself sponsored kids who were not my own
(my own
was too young at the time).

Kid memberships were less expensive, and kids didn't have voting authority
on
certain business items for the club (due to legalities of under 18).

Sponsor AND parents had to sign liability waivers.

Sponsor had to be with child if child was flying (an RC aircraft can do a
lot of
damage when it crashes...).

Just a thought from someone out here on the left coast that hates to see
children
excluded from his favorite hobbies (unless there is a physiological reason,
as in
SCUBA) :-)

-Peter