 Organizations / United States / 223
Re: NELUG meeting report from 12/16/1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 19:33:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
I won't speak to the first issue, but we had some discussion about the
second. Part of the problem is that it'd suck to have parent chaperones
sitting around in the back of the meeting feeling bored.

Yes.  That's why I used the word "member," not "chaperone."

As you point out, I really brought up two separate problems that limit
the participation of some people in NELUG: the first because they _have_
children, the second because they _are_ children.

Even if you liked my idea without reservation, it wouldn't solve the
problem for every prospective "junior member," because the sort of adult
who is going to sit bored in the back of the room is somewhat unlikely
to say, "Yes, I really want to join a LEGO club."  On the other hand,
I think you may find that this same effect limits the potential for
damage to the club's purpose.

Then again on the first issue, children of certain ages and temperaments
could be a problem even if the parents are enthusiastic.  I wouldn't
recommend having toddlers around during the contruction of the grand medieval
window display.

And yet again on the other hand, what do you do if there's an adult who
won't get with the program?  Let's face it, no matter what you make for
membership requirements and attendance rules, you can't prevent people
from showing up and being bored or uncooperative, so it's more important
to have a way of dealing with this when it happens than in trying to
guess ahead of time whether it will or won't happen.

I've belonged to clubs that had rules and bylaws up the wazoo, and clubs
that said, basically, "Just pay your dues and you're in; if we
decide we don't like you, we'll kick you out."  Either model works for me;
it's just a matter of how much effort you want to put into those rules
and bylaws.

OTOH again, at times in this discussion, I've wondered whether I myself
qualify as a "LEGO geek."  :-)