 Organizations / United States / 222
Re: NELUG Castle Display at TCS Brainstorm...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:51:27 GMT

<snip lots of good ideas

(I'll put in my barbarian horde SOMEWHERE! :) )

I guess we can make room for a Barbarian Horde :-).  It would work well with
the new 2000 sets anyway.

I don't have a lot to contrubute a the moment but I do have the following.

1.  Small Church ( http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/castle/church/ )
2.  Market ( http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/castle/market/ )
3.  A few minifigs (Mostly SW peasants)
4.  I have a lot of gray bricks that can be used for a castle if needed.
(Maybe a building day?).

What I have to contribute is unbuilt. I can probably build anything from
castles to houses to shops in a somewhat small scale within a month pretty
easily (as in a 32x32 baseplate or 2... maybe 3, depending on what it is)...
Of course that presupposes our timeframe. But at present I have scads of grey
bricks, black roofing, red roofing, and SOME blue roofing. (Also a fair lot of
tan bricks, and a BIT of brown).

I would say that at the moment we need a little of everything although the only
castle that has been mentioned is the King Leo castle.  I suppose if we want to
have more than the one castle someone needs to build it.  Like I said I plan on
having about 4 of the 16x32 baseplates with a market setup and it sounds like
Jeff has an excelent Idea for an addition to that with his acting troop.  I
also know that Suz said she would like to do some town folk.

The question has also been raised as to whether we should have a walled in city
or an open city.  I think the walled in city makes for a nice effect although
the open city is definitely easier.  Like I said I have lots of Gray plus quite
a bit of Black and Red regular slope roofing and red low slope roofing.

As for a building day, I think I'd refine that by saying that we'd be building
together, but building separate modules, and aligning them so they fit well
together... I'm just making sure we veer away from intermingling collections
too much ('figs are fine.. they worked pretty well the last time with the
multicolored paper inside idea)

It would definitly have to be either modular of something where say I used my
gray 2x4 bricks and you supplied the windows and doors and someone else
supplied the plates so that it could be separated easily.  I guess what I was
trying to say is we could have a building day because I have lots of Gray
Bricks and we could all make them into a structure of some kind using only my
bricks.

I definitly want to avoind intermingling collections to much because it could
be a real pain to get everyone's bricks back into the right hands.

As for figs, I've got around 350 castle figs plus I'm guessing around 20
peasants made from other genres. Of course they're all from different
"teams"... While I've got about 80 crusaders and 64 Fright Knights, I only
have 18 Dragon Masters, and only 6 Forestmen. So if we DO want to have a large
war, we should probably go with a "team" that we've all got lots of figs
for... (or that we're willing to lend to the model)

Like I said I don't have much in the way of figs so this is not up to me.  I
will probably have more figs from the 2000 sets than anything by the time we
set up.  Again my biggest contribution will be SW figs converted to peasentry.

I've got about 10 16x32 tan baseplates, along with some of the narrow ones
from the Outback Airstrip... and a whole bunch of other tan plates to 'blend'
them into other color baseplates. Also, I really like the brown baseplates
that come in the '99 ninja sets... they might look really good for something
like a field of crops, with flower bases sticking out as budding produce...
the only problem being that I don't have lots of them.... I think they'd look
really good in a BIG forest... along with outcroppings of grass, moss, and
random rocks thrown in...

I have 10 (maybe 11) of the 16x32 tan baseplates along with one in brown.  I
like the idea of having a forested area though.  Maybe with a hermit hidden in
the forest or a lookout from one of the taller trees.

Anyway, now that I've wasted enough time with my ramblings... I'm eager to
hear feedback...

I can't wait to hear some more feedback as well.  I think this could be bigger
than the Star Wars setup by the time we are done.  I really think this could be
a great group project.

Eric,

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/