 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 336
Re: Check out the NALUG layout at the Edmonton show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 18:26:04 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.vlc, James Brown writes:
   <snip>
Another thing that worked well, if by accident, is that several people
brought spare bricks & plates for last minute work (like monorail
pillars & holding plates together).  By sheer luck, Chris brought black,
I brought grey, and Steve brought other colors.  It was *very* easy to
sort out who owned what, and having those extra bits there was absolutely
necessary.  Next time it may be less necessary, but it's still a good idea.

Actually, that wasn't luck.  I knew I'd need to do some improvising for
monorail supports, (certainly didn't expect as much as there was though)
so asked "Mr. Castle" to bring his grey (which would match the track)
and Chris (My supply of grey & black bricks not being very large) to bring
his black 2x2s, to match the pillars.  I then made sure that any grey
I used was Technic, and any black (like plates) wasn't a 2x2.  I also had
to make sure that I didn't use any 1x4 plates from James, since those are
for connecting the monorail.  Next time I should have my LEGO properly
stocked and available (I'm still unpacking, etc.) so it should be even
easier as any spare bricks and plates would be mine, and everyone else
would bring sets, etc.  In general though, spare pieces are a "must".

Another things is the "don't touch" rule.  In general, it's a good idea,
and I highly recommend it.  However, having a couple extra pieces of track
nearby that can be shown/handled by other train hobbiests seemed to go over

Yeah - that single segment of track to show to train fans was a big plus.

well.  I absolutely made an young (11-ish?) girl's day when her mother
asked (she seemed too shy) how the roof on the tan house was done, and I
took the roof off and handed it to her.

Heh - Try THAT with conventional models.   :-)

SRC