 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 303
Re: Check out the NALUG layout at the Edmonton show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:07:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.vlc, Robin Sather writes:
Thanks James, for the personal reply!  As you probably know from the
other posts in .org.ca.vlc, we're going through all of this for the
first time right now, so we'll all probably have a few questions for
you and your fellow NALUG'ers.  As it was, I had pencilled in the show
to attend myself, had we been up in Edmonton as we had planned.  Plans
changed, and now we're going up for Thanksgiving.

Hey, cool.  If you've got spare time when you're in town, let us know - we're
always up to meeting new AFOL's.

Anyway, perhaps you have a few tips and traps that you could share
with us as a group embarking on our first public event.  Please feel
free to post anything you think might be helpful, especially stuff
that you know now, but wish you had known at the start.

Hmm...
Well, labeling the bottom of baseplates was a Good Thing.  Everyone got their
own baseplates back with minimal confusion.

Another thing that worked well, if by accident, is that several people brought
spare bricks & plates for last minute work (like monorail pillars & holding
plates together).  By sheer luck, Chris brought black, I brought grey, and
Steve brought other colors.  It was *very* easy to sort out who owned what,
and having those extra bits there was absolutely necessary.  Next time it may
be less necessary, but it's still a good idea.

Another things is the "don't touch" rule.  In general, it's a good idea, and I
highly recommend it.  However, having a couple extra pieces of track nearby
that can be shown/handled by other train hobbiests seemed to go over well.  I
absolutely made an young (11-ish?) girl's day when her mother asked (she
seemed too shy) how the roof on the tan house was done, and I took the roof
off and handed it to her.  I also showed several people how the monorail
worked, and other people did similar things for very interested observers.
Those were the sorts of people we tried to make *sure* got Lugnet flyers.

It was a really great compact layout with lots of variety, colour, and
even a little humour (loved Chewie with briefcase in hand waiting to
board the monorail)!

Thanks!  Good luck with your plans!

James