 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 297
Re: Check out the NALUG layout at the Edmonton show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:45:41 GMT

For anyone who missed it, pics of the Northern Alberta Lego Users Group
layout at the Edmonton Trains 2000 show are up

Looks like they had a lot of fun!  Lots and lots of work, and it
shows.

A few things I noticed that we could talk about when we meet (see my
other post today).  They're in no particular order, just the order
they occurred to me.

- They were setting up their layout while people (presumably
attendees) were already watching.  I'd much prefer to have this
completed before anyone is actually let in.  It could be that these
people are simply other exhibitors (and their children) however.

- On one picture, I noticed a stack of Toys 'R Us business cards.  Did
they have any sort of sponsorship?  Can anyone that has a personal
contact up there check on this?  We should definitely follow up on
this.

- The club logo modelled in lego was nice, but should have been
mounted somehow.  This would be fairly easy to create, and would just
take some time.  It would also be an excellent way for a store to
support the club.  Have a store donate 4 to 10 blue tubs of pieces
(approximately $100 to $250) or more, and away we go.  After the show,
the sign could be kept for other shows, or taken apart and added to
the club stash (after we create the Ldraw instructions, of course!).

- They had no interactive area for kids, etc.  I personally think this
is the best route to go.  Model train people typically don't want
anyone touching their layouts anyway, so this fits in well for a train
show.  Interactive areas also require intense supervision, and will
result in lots of stolen stuff, I suspect, no matter how well it's
managed.

- Does anyone have a club car that can be used?  (set # 4547).
Furthermore, does anyone have one that they would be willing to trade
or sell to me!!!  Please!!!

Anyway, just a few random thoughts.  More to come, I'm sure.

Robin