 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1353
Re: Rope & Plexi revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 23:44:27 GMT

As far as cleaning goes, that's another cost I didn't factor in.
Plexi needs special cleaners to avoid scratching and clouding the
glass.

We've got some plexi cleaner.  It's not that expensive.  I just don't want
to clean kid goo (ewwwww)!  I'm not sure whose base plate this one little
girl drooled on (next to Dean's drive in), but some kids just ooze.  Can't
believe people voluntarily have children (kidding).

In terms of rope, I really don't see a requirement of more than 8 • stands,
but that's just me.  I also would suggest only one foot (maybe 10 • inches)
away from the table.

I don't think 8 stands would cut it.  The weight of the rope alone
(assuming a minimum 8 mil climbing rope) would almost be enough to
topple stands with 8 to 10 feet in between them.

Yes, climbing rope is heavy, but do we need to consider that extreme?  I'd
always thought rope barriers were more "keep a distance" rather than serving
as actual barriers.  IMHO, a basic rope barrier would suffice.  But 6" plexi
could work too (just concerned over "yanking" children and evil people who
will still reach over and grab).

I doubt many, if any, would defy a rope barrier.  On Sunday when I got
pissed at everyone in the little inlet we had, I put a masking tape barrier
on the outside -- not one kid (even the short ones) went past it.  I do
believe a rope barrier, even a weak one, would prevent people from getting
to the table.  But I hate to have our detail not seen (my big X against
rope).  How about 3' plexi?  ;-)  Aww heck, we ought to give that electric
fencing and barbed wire a try.

Xan