 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1331
1330  |  1332
Subject:
Rope & Plexi revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:33:19 GMT

Okay, gang:

One of several things we'll need to discuss soon -- rope and plexi barriers.
I think we still need a barrier for shows.

Following is a list of Pros and Cons for each -- please add your two cents
as well because I doubt I got everything:

PLEXIGLASS

Pros
- Psychological barrier (for some)
- If a train derails off tracks towards table edge/floor, plexi serves as
barrier

Cons
- Kids love to hang off the edge of tables with fingers and will do the same
with plexi -- heavier children could pull the whole damn thing down on top
of them
- Expensive
- Need cleaning as children do children things (putting sticky fingers,
mouths and tongues onto the plexi)
- Hellions will still reach over the plexi to mess with display
- More difficult to match different sized displays and to mount onto tables

ROPE (simple wood stand with rope approx 10 inches away from display)

Pros
- Inexpensive
- Easier to see arms of Hellions reaching onto display (making cattle
prodding or tazer use more targeted)
- People KNOW it's a barrier not to be crossed and will not be picking up
moving trains and other brainless acts of stupidity
- Can be used for any size display easily

Cons
- Harder to see some display detail

I don't believe we need rocks or heavy rope stands -- the guys at the TTOS
had simple wood stands to hold the rope and that was fine -- light and
practical.

Thoughts, comments etc.?

Personally, I get stressed dealing with children and the public.  The
Saturday portion was great, but Sunday was hell on my nerves.  I'd like to
see something in place for the Burnaby show in November.

Xandria
--

Xandria's Lego Realm:
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/xandria/a_lego/