 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9814
Re: Near Final Release, rtlToronto15 info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 02:24:09 GMT

Guys, please check this out and let me know any concerns.

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-013104/lego-013104-rules.html

Just had a look at these rules. Overall, everything looks good.

"Each robot will have a tally of games won and lost. Each match will be ranked.
For example: A robot which starts second and wins gets more points than one
which starts first."

This makes sense as the player who moves first has an advantage. I suppose the
"more points" bit will be clarified in the near future?

"In the Final Four, four robots with the best tally in Qualifying will play
against each other in a full round robin game (Twelve games). In the meantime,
the other robots are encouraged to play games with the public."

Perhaps this should be re-worded: "in the meantime, the rest of the sorry robot
builders should hang their heads in shame and go home"

"Each of the robots will be given a maximum of twenty minutes to play the entire
game, giving a total maximum game time of fourty minutes."

!!!??  Wow. 40 minutes. This is my only real complaint. I would cut things down
to 15 or 10 minutes. Put a little more emphasis on building nice fast mechanics.
In talking with Chris at the hobby show, he said that it is important to balance
the mechanical and software aspects of the robot in the scoring. So maybe there
should be a time bonus? If there is a draw, the win goes to the faster robot?
Otherwise, if its just win or lose, then we might as well do a software only
challenge.

Rob