 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9259
Re: Modular Connect 4 robots?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:47:30 GMT

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:18:35PM +0000, Calum Tsang wrote:
I had an idea.  What if people built their robots in a modular fashion?

There's always a mechanism RCX and a logic RCX. The logic RCX runs the
game engine and tells the mechanism brick what todo. Everything is
functionalized into "Drop at Column N", "I'm done dropping" and "Scan
the Board" and "Here's the board bitmap".

It's an interseting idea - but by disconnecting the logic RCX and the
mechanism RCX, you're makeing some cool optimizations unavailable.  That
said, it could be cool to try different software/mechanism options, or
even score the different pieces of code seperately from the mechanisms:
Have the same code run different robots, to see which is the best
design, or have the same robot run with different code, to find the best
algorithm.

Of course, that would just make the game that much longer, and would
probably make it a blast to watch.

In other news, after playing connect-4 games all last night, algorithm
version A.07 was scrapped for algorithm B.02.

PS-Far offtopic, this reminds me of comparisons of early DV formats
  against Betacam SP or other analog formats. People would shoot 1CCD
  MiniDV camcorders against 3CCD Betacam rigs and wonder why there was
  a quality difference. It wasn't until someone shot with a JVC KY-D29
  camera head with BR-DV10 DV back AND a Betacam, SVHS and DigitalS
  backs that could they make real judgements on the format quality. (I
  think the conclusion was that DV tape has similar but not the same
  luminance/resolution and that SP still had far greater colour
  quality, while DigitalS/D9 blows both away.)

Wow, you really _are_ a geek.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com