 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9237
Re: Modular Connect 4 robots?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:18:09 GMT

Hey guys,

I had an idea.  What if people built their robots in a modular fashion?

There's always a mechanism RCX and a logic RCX.  The logic RCX runs the game
engine and tells the mechanism brick what todo.  Everything is functionalized
into "Drop at Column N", "I'm done dropping" and "Scan the Board" and "Here's
the board bitmap".

That way good hardware guys can do what they do best, run with the most basic of
logic engines, and meet up with good software people, who may have a killer game
engine but not have the skills or pieces to build the mechanisms.

That would also allow very obvious judgements of how important hardware or
software is to the game at hand.

Calum
PS-Far offtopic, this reminds me of comparisons of early DV formats against

<snip>

I like that idea Calum.... I know I'd be one of the hardware guys: at this point
I haven't a clue as to how to program the bot. So basically, you're suggesting
forming teams.... do-able methinks.  I would love to learn how to program that
type of logic into the RCX.

However, don't assume 2 RCXs: If we use IR messages, then I think it's possible
to do the mechanics using only 1 RCX.  Your idea is still valid in that case
though.

Another thought: IF coding a full (or partial) game algorithm becomes impossible
within an RCX or two, what if we simplified the game to like
5 columns (instead of 7), and went for Connect3 instead?  Just an idea, in case
the programming cannot fit within the RCX's memory....

The yellow Connect4 sells for $25 at Sears ?!?!?!?

John