 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9234
9233  |  9235
Subject:
Modular Connect 4 robots?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:18:35 GMT

Hey guys,

I had an idea.  What if people built their robots in a modular fashion?

There's always a mechanism RCX and a logic RCX.  The logic RCX runs the game
engine and tells the mechanism brick what todo.  Everything is functionalized
into "Drop at Column N", "I'm done dropping" and "Scan the Board" and "Here's
the board bitmap".

That way good hardware guys can do what they do best, run with the most basic of
logic engines, and meet up with good software people, who may have a killer game
engine but not have the skills or pieces to build the mechanisms.

That would also allow very obvious judgements of how important hardware or
software is to the game at hand.

Calum
PS-Far offtopic, this reminds me of comparisons of early DV formats against Betacam SP or other analog formats.   People would shoot 1CCD MiniDV camcorders against 3CCD Betacam rigs and wonder why there was a quality difference.  It wasn't until someone shot with a JVC KY-D29 camera head with BR-DV10 DV back AND a Betacam, SVHS and DigitalS backs that could they make real judgements on the format quality.  (I think the conclusion was that DV tape has similar but not the same luminance/resolution and that SP still had far greater colour quality, while DigitalS/D9 blows both away.)