 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8910
Re: rtlToronto14 AC rule change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 02:42:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Wayne Young wrote:
There haven't been any more votes on the AC rule, so is it safe to say the yea's
have it? Not to be a pest, but how about updating the rules, Calum?

If you weren't going to be a pest, you wouldn't ask :)

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-091303/

Here's what I've put up.  AC power is allowed, however, your robot (not you)
have to keep the harness from touching other robots.  Meaning, you will have to
build some sort of structure to keep the AC cable up over top of other robots
that might drive into your area.

If no robots drive into that area, that's no problem.  If someone does, and it
gets tangled in your cable, it's an immediate forfeit to the tanglee.

Calum

I'm just wondering what you guy's opinion is on when robots get tangled with
each other -- not an AC cable, but beams sticking out, that sort of thing.
Surely this has happened before? At a local puck gathering competition it seems
to happen with about half the robots every time they do a round!

Anyway, an AC cable is "just another LEGO part", so why treat it so differently?
If the other robot comes over to my side of the field, and gets entrapped in a
hunk of my beams or my axles with angle connectors, I'm not disqualified, right?
That robot is taking a risk coming over here. It could have stayed on it's own
side. It seems that this is just part of the game. What if I built a robot with
a dozen pieces of lego string hanging out from each side. Would that disqualify
my robot if the other guy got tangled in them? Assume that I'm using the string
as a valid part of my mechanism for gathering rice, not just to be looking for
loopholes in the rules. It's a valid question.

Also, why make the rule above dependant on which side the robot gets tangled in
the wire? What if I go over to *his* side, and he gets tangled in my wire there?
Or for that matter some other mechanism of mine?

My point is, this rule seems absurd. Just let people build whatever type of
robot they want, with whatever Lego parts they want, and let them explore
different ways of solving the problem. Treating AC cables any differently than
any other part is wrong. If there are size constraints, I could see that the
cable should be included in those constraints, potentially disqualifying a
robot. That's a valid rule. Or not allowing AC at all might be valid. Yet this
competition seems like a good one to allow it -- it's not sumo after all! But
making arbitrary rules for using a particular piece of LEGO really strikes me as
weird.

Anyway, from the ideas I've heard that people are talking about how they'll
collect the bricks out of the rice, it will be way more likely that these
mechanisms will tangle with each other than that a cable will be in the way.

Maybe you should come up with a valid 'tangling rule' that handles all
situations, and doesn't discriminate against any particular piece of Lego.
Disqualification seems unrealistic, since it will likely happen more often than
not, and determining fault may be extremely difficult.

--
  David Schilling