 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8581
Re: On track for rtlToronto14
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 03:08:31 GMT

OK....

lets do some housekeeping.

1. based on a personal and private phone call,  someone.... lets call
him Bruce. S.  no, that's not right... lets call him BS for short.

so BS calls me and all but cries that this game is TOO HARD.

I politely ask him how things are going and can i assist?

W E L L, BS proceeds to tell me how he's spent the past few ~!weeks!~
trying different ways to process the blocks.  He managed to get them out
of the rice. and almost rice free, BUT the block sorting was hard.

HUH? I say.  "that's got to be the easy part"  I have not played with a
robot in a while, but I figure how hard can this be.   Geesh. if BS is
not having an easy time of sorting then this might be a tough game.

I hung up with the promise to try the sorting part tonight.

(notice how I left out all the parts about lets change the rules.... is
this game to hard..... lets make it easier.....)

any way.  I turned off the phone, set up the SUPERCOMPUTER (tm) to play
MP3's and watch endless video of Iain's robots.

FIRST based on what BS had said I assumed that conveyor sorting is not
the right way... so I tried to make a mini-robot arm based on this:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jrl/Mini-arm/ma1.jpg

it was cool.   and fun to build and play with.... but useless for a
brick picker.

I went upstairs... had a healthy meal of a beef patty, and cheese on a
bun, a hand full of trail mix, and a swig of soda water, I was refreshed
to try again.

i made a simple conveyor....and it worked.

took me all of an hour.

in two hours I added a light sensor, an RCX, ONE line of code and as of
right now I have a sorter that is about 80% reliable at not jamming, and
80% reliable at sorting correctly.

period.

THAT'S with just 2 hours of messing around.

Listen here BS,  you better have a robot or your ranking in RTL will
fall lower than jeff VW's as a robot guy.

if you need to call me again for me to explain how this works.... feel
free.

Chris

AH. that felt good.  almost like it was the good ol' days of Project X.

heck if I continue at this rate, I can finish this robot, and start on
the Jan pipe racer game.

how hard can THAT be... I mean, Steve entered that game... and won.

:)