 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8324
Re: Lamenting the Long Edit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:09:08 GMT

There was little "activity card" in the Dacta Control Lab package (the large
$700 one) which had a "make your own computer controlled greenhouse" activity.
Instead of controlling water though, you controlled opening and closing a window
in the greenhouse (large enough to hold a pea plant in a foam coffee cup).  It
used the temperature sensor (aka, Bruce Sheridan's favourite Lego piece).

Buddy.  I've been looking at that 1994 dacta catalogue for almost 10 years now,
dreaming about that set.  I even built a mock up of the greenhouse with the
giant tessalated translucent blue panels from the 6990 Monorail, a thermistor,
relay, and some transistors... and built a mock of the greenhouse wired up with
a motor.  I was obsessed with just even looking at the *manual* to the Control
Lab set.

Can't wait to get the ControlLabs...

I. kid. you. not.

I had a dream about it last night.

I dreamed me and some other guy were waiting for them, and 2 came in.  So then I
was all like, "well, you can have the first one, becuase I'm nice", and it was
the 4.5 volt one! And then I GOT THE 9V ONE.  AND IT WAS BETTER, AND STUFF.
Because the 4.5 volt one only has like TWO powered sensor ports.  Or something.
And there was the big giant STOP button and I LOVE THAT.

Hold me.

    Iain