 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8245
Re: You guys aren't nearly as entertaining today...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:14:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ralph Hempel wrote:
-11MB bandwidth BEST CASE scenario.
-Insecure
-Expensive desktop cards ($80-90 each)

Calum, you're talking to someone who used to connect
to Canada Remote Sysytems at 300 baud....then upgraded
to 1200. A guy who remembers C compilers fitting onto
a floppy, the 180K single sided kind. A guy who is, for want
of a better word, old.

I wouldn't say that.  My first modem was a 300 baud Zoom Telephonics, my second
was a 1200 baud General Data Comm.  And worse, my Apple II only stored 140K per
floppy.

It's only insecure if you don't change stuff like mandating
128 bit WEP encryption and using a special SSID that's
hard to guess.

Please enlighen me if I'm really wrong

128bit WEP has already been cracked.  SSID are autodetectable with a simple
scanner program.  MAC addresses can be identified and spoofed within 45 minutes
of average traffic.

If you live in Owen Sound or something, sure.  Hell, most of your neighbours
probably don't have a computer :)

But in the city, 802.11 security is a real issue.

The cards are cheap here...

<http://www.canadacomputers.com/networking.html#wir>

The cards are expensive in comparison to free (ie, built in Ethernet in your
machine already) or cheap ($5 used PCI EThernet boards)

Calum