 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8237
Re: You guys aren't nearly as entertaining today...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:18:38 GMT

I have to run cat5 thru 2 floors.  Hopefully the duct work is easily
accessible.

Would be nice.  If you have central vac that's unused, that also works. 802.11b
wireless would also be easy, although nothing beats the fun of 4AM spackling
with Chris and Calum.

So do I put the patch panel in the basement?  Or do I put it somewhere a
little more accessible, such as the main floor where the cable connex is
probably going to be?

Place it close to the cable modem.  Are you using a home router type box?

It's only a P2-300/128megram/3.2gigHD with Apache running... give the poor
little CPU a break!

It's not the machine, it's the upstream bandwidth from your house to your cable
provider, it's deliberately assymetrical, even though DOCSIS cable technology is
designed to be symmetrical.

Calum