 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8242
RE: You guys aren't nearly as entertaining today...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:42:12 GMT

-11MB bandwidth BEST CASE scenario.
-Insecure
-Expensive desktop cards ($80-90 each)

Calum, you're talking to someone who used to connect
to Canada Remote Sysytems at 300 baud....then upgraded
to 1200. A guy who remembers C compilers fitting onto
a floppy, the 180K single sided kind. A guy who is, for want
of a better word, old.

It's only insecure if you don't change stuff like mandating
128 bit WEP encryption and using a special SSID that's
hard to guess.

Please enlighen me if I'm really wrong

The cards are cheap here...

<http://www.canadacomputers.com/networking.html#wir>

Ralph

There's a safty issue too. NEVER run cables or AC wire inside
your heating/cooling ducts.

AC I'd agree with.  Ethernet is low voltage enough to be not a concern, and I
don't believe poses a fire hazard if you use plenum grade cable.

Calum