 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7949
Re: Road Show Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:34:04 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

I'm glad you managed to push Calum's buttons on this.  It's fun watching
you push Calum's buttons.

You know, it really rather bothers me.  I'm one to get angry at a lot of stuff,
primarily because no one else gives a care about things that really should be
fixed. I'll give you an example of this sort of thing where really the response
is, screw the hell off.

I won a very cool diecast PT Cruiser model at a company event recently, which
was properly decaled up with corporate logos (as a fleet management group, this
is a prized posession).  There was a note on the top of the car which says
"Don't open the doors, or the decals will fall off".  So, one of my drunken
programmers tried to open the doors, which I told her not to.

Fast forward a week later, and every day, my PT Cruiser doors were pulled open.
Eventually, all the decaling broke off completely.

Ok you see this is not pushing someones buttons.  It's perfectly
understandable for you to be upset about this.  The degree to which you
are upset may be questionable.  I mean it's a PT Cruiser.  :-)

I think pushing someones buttons is the art of getting them upset about
something with out actually doing anything.  For example if I pointed
out the PT Cruiser on your desk and asked why are the stickers all
messed up.  That would be pushing your buttons, especially if you knew I
already knew why the stickers where all messed up.  But if I was just
standing there picking the sticker off of you PT Cruiser, that wouldn't
be pushing your buttons, that would be being a jerk.  You have every
right to be upset.

Yeah, it's fun to push people's buttons.  Real fun. I think I'm going to go and
key her SUV now.

You see that's not pushing her buttons.  Constantly pointing out the
scratch to her after probably would be.  :-)

Derek