 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7403
Re: Building Competition LEGO Robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 21:39:15 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:

Remember:  A robot is complete not when there is nothing left to add,
but rather when there is nothing left to take away.

I like this quote.

I cant live by it... but it is a great quote.  whose is it?

It's actually a lazy misquote of Antoine-Marie-Roger de Saint-Exupery:
(wow, have enough names?)

"La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien a ajouter, mais
quand il ne reste rien a enlever."

And I'm still too lazy to put the accents in the right places...

It's often applied to the construction of a poem.  It doesn't literally
mean to take everything away - it means that you should strive to remove
everything which does not lead to your goal.

For instance, I'm famed for building rock-solid (Cinderblock-style)
robots... but really, if I paid more attention and did more planning and
rebuilding, I could make them equally strong but lighter, which in turn
means they'd move faster, take higher gearings, etc.

Jeff E