 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7397
Re: Building Competition LEGO Robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 19:55:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:

Remember:  A robot is complete not when there is nothing left to add,
but rather when there is nothing left to take away.

I like this quote.

I cant live by it... but it is a great quote.  whose is it?

--
Chris

Why do solar calculators have an off button?

I like the quote, but for my 'bot building, I put it in the 'metaphysical'
sense, instead of the physical sense.

My robots are big, but very simple--I subscribe to the 'KISS' theory--keep
it simple...

Having lots of gears and motors and moving parts just adds undue complexity
that can break down/not perform correctly.

If it gets the job done with fewer moving parts, then do it with fewer
moving parts.

There was the block sorter competition, and I had built this big sweeping
mechanism on the front of my 'bot using tank treads and space antennae, and
it worked very well, except it would break every so often--breakage during a
competitoin is bad (at least it is for me--not so much for Chris)

So I made a 'V' scoop out of beams and plates--no moving parts.  It may have
not captured as many bricks, but there was no chance of it jamming or breaking.

As well, there was the tire scoop that would flip the blocks into the
chute--it was originally connected to sensors and RCX outputs for the
possibility of jamming--then I thought, after looking at it, the system was
overtly complex--I put the tires on shocks so the blocks could come at the
tires in any orientation and the tires would pick it up--not only did that
reduce the complexity of the 'bot and the complexity of the program, it also
freed up a motor and sensor port on the RCX.

Build in modules is also somethign I like to do.  In this fashion, if you
need to modify something, you don't have to tear apart most of the 'bot.
When you get a module that works, see if you can make lit lighter/reinforced
better.  Also remember that when you add all the modules together, you'll
have a pretty durable 'bot that should be able to withstand general
wear-'n-tear in a competitive environment.

RCX placement should be a factor--easily accessible, not only to d/l
programs, but also removeable to replace batteries--building your RCX in the
middle of your 'bot means you have to tear apart the entire 'bot to change
the batteries.

More later

Dave K