 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6889
Re: Monday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:21:22 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:

then i remembered messing with the router MTU. so i dropped it down to
900 and all is better.

I still have a major problem with 900 as a setting... but with this dump
PPPoE its all I can do.

You guys are good with computers.  I wish I could fix them like that.

Every once in a while, after turning on my computer, XP has the little
"broken connection" icon in the tray, meaning something's wrong with my
cablemodem.  When I first called Rogers about it they said I had a bad cable
going between my PC and the Modem.  I asked them if they'd pay for it and
they said no.  Then I discovered that unplugging the modem for 5 seconds,
plugging it in, and waiting 20 seconds makes it work.  :: shrug ::

I.  hate.  screwy.  computer.  issues.  Like, Rogers told me a COMPLETLY
different thing than what it was.  I am unhappy with their service.

The only gratification I got was watching the Rogers team do a "High Speed
Internet DEMO!!!!!" in our atrium and *NO ONE CAME*.  I was all worried that
everyone in our building would get Rogers and my speed would go way down,
but seriuosly, no one went.  I was doing laundry at the time and kept
passing them, and the guys were standing there just surfing on their own.
And so, I laughed.  And then the vending machine was out of twizzlers, and I
got really mad.

In other news, I'm glad to see your "back" into lego and wanted to ask
you what your latest project was/is.

I got all excited yesterday and went on a 3 hour building spree amid IM
conversations to build 3 rotary pick and place robots - with the intention
of having them arranged in a triangle, sharing 3 nests for marbles, so they
could all work in unison and move stuff around.  I had tried doing a 3-RCX
project before, but I get really, really irritated because of the battery
issue.  I have one RCX with a power jack, the other 2 need batteries.  So I
find that so irritating that I just can't force myself to finish those
projects.  Because all 3 robots have to operate EXACTLY the same.  That, and
my third micromotor was jammed out of the box, so I can't make the third
robot's gripper, and I dont know where to get any more micromotors easily.
That was a big paragraph.  This girl in my class used to throw random words
in paragraphs like bonsheyon and iammatildasbutt to see if her teacher would
notice, and he never did.  So now I'm going to add a little more to the end
of this, just to round it off, so using an optical shaft encoder for
absolute positioning is not a realistic goal.

how was your weekend?

It was pretty boring.  I found out how disgustingly out of shape I am.  I
haven't riden my bike (97 Trek Y5) in about 4 years.  Gotta work on that.

Giro Switchblade, Titanium - $179 USD MRSP  <-- Crap.  Want.  But that's a lot.

    Iain