 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6585
6584  |  6586
Subject:
Capacitor madness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:07:05 GMT

I'm going to need to borrow some real estate in Lower Altenburg.  Jeff?
Can a grab a small chunk of portland next to the road?  It's FunFair
time!

See, I've had a ferris wheel model languishing for some time.  So last
night, I rebuilt it in brighter colours, and cut it down in size to
match Altenburg scale.  Basically the whole deal fits in about a 16x24
footprint.  It's motorized.

But here's the zinger:

I've hooked up the motor (mini 9v) to another motor (same) and the
capacitor.  When you wind the crank on the "generator" motor, it powers
up the cap in about 30 or 40 rotations, and the ferris wheel (and
generator crank) start moving on their own.  Seems to run for between 4
and 8 minutes on a wind-up.  It goes at a stately clip - a rotation
every 8 to 10 seconds with the 1:32 gearing I've got now.  Seats 12.  No
safety bars.

I figure on adding a "one way" gear set on the generator crank, adding a
longer crank arm and gearing up the ratio to the motor so that it takes
fewer, slower cranks to power up.  Also, that means that while the
'generator' motor will run while the ferris wheel does, the crank won't
move on its own, which might be distracting.  And you won't be able to
crank the cap the "wrong way."

I think it'll be a real crowd-pleaser.  *I* keep playing with it.

So... I'll be looking to beg borrow, steal or purchase more capacitors
down the road, when I finish the merry-go-round and whatever other carny
ride I make.  I figure I'll do 2 or 3 total (more will take too much
space).

I'd post pictures, but Jeff VW will have to do it for me, since he's got
my camera. :)

Jeff "I've got your wind and you can't have it back" Elliott