 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6584
6583  |  6585
Subject:
This week's inanities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:56:49 GMT

First of all, I'd like to say:  WOW, 8475 is a great set.  I haven't had
an R/C vehicle in 8 years or so, and the last one was a cheap Radio
Shack van.

For those coming from the R/C community, it might not be as exciting,
but this is the set I've played most with in years.  I've stripped off
all the flashy no-purpose decorations, since they fall off when you
smash into walls anyway.  I've had each front wheel off about 100
times.  And I still pick up the controller every time I walk by and give
it a spin.

Haven't even seriously modded it yet.  I'm just using the buggy chassis
with the Indy "slick" tires (more spinouts :).  And the occasional
rocket launcher turret, just for form's sake.

I devoured a brand new set of alkalines with it in a couple of hours the
first day.  I went out the next day and bought a set of NiMH batteries
(1950 mAh) and a charger, and those things last a lot longer than
alkalines.*

I'm just getting to the point of setting up garbage cans and recycling
boxes as an obstacle course and timing "races."  Wheee.

Jeff E

* - OK, technically speaking, the alks give more energy total, and start
with a bit more pep, but after a couple of hours the car is limping
around and dropping signals, whereas on rechargeables, it goes like spit
for three hours and then PFFT time to recharge.  Much more satisfying.