 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6577
Re: this Gord guy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:26:08 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
-- but you pointed me to a funny Gord
page.

The Gord is good.  The Gord knows how to handle the foolish and the unwise.

Dave, dave, dave!  (shakes head)

what have you done to me.

I always like The Gord--in moments of ultimate frustration at my job, I just
click on any one of thsoe stories and I'm good to go for another few rounds...

after spending a LOT of time reading up on this gord guy,  I have felt a
rekindling of my disdain for stupid humans. an there are a LOT of them.

Talk about coincidence.

after reading this page, i get a call from a witless customer  this is a
quote

" Hello, I'm doing a short independent movie and I'm looking for some
guns. What's that going to cost?"

notice the end of the quote. notice how he never once said what types,
how many, for how long,  just HOW MUCH.

Dave, you may have to deal with clue less exec's but at the end of the
day you can have a clear conscious knowing that if they never instal the
printer, no one is going to get hurt.

If you want, Dave, give me your work #, and I'll call and pretend to
work for laidlaw  and ask you intelligent IT questions. Like:

"...The OEM custom database software is having difficulties locating the
server, can you please walk me through the process on how to re set up
the OBDC II files."

or

"Dave, 10 min ago I just did a back up of some important files. During
this snow storm we lost power  and now my system crashed, can you tell
me where MYOB stores  those files?"

:)

So we put Compaq ML350 servers in all our big branches--dual processors, hot
swap hd/powersupply/fans, whatever... DAT 3 (12/24 gig backup tapes) and we
told the branch managers, the Operations managers and some mebers of the
staff that, "Hey, this is the important bit--you *must* swap out this backup
tape every day.  All you have to do is put a new one in every morning--it
has auto eject when its done..."

I thought we were quite clear...

Anyway, these servers have been out there for 2+ years now and a few have died.

"Oh, we have to restore your data on your replacement server, can you ship
me your last backup tape?"

"We haven't put a tape in for well over a year..." says the branch person.

K, well, whatever.

Thankfully our branches are on frame and we realized the 'obtusiveness' of
certain individuals, and we backup, zip and copy the local databases to our
servers here at the head office every night, so at least their data is safe.
But then I get, "Well, where's all my old e-mail?  I lost all my cool
jokes!" when I drop off a rebuilt server.

So again, the IS staff is at fault.

Thank goodness I get a paycheque at the end of the week.

can I go home now and build lego?  I have a better idea for my smash up
derby bot....

I have great ideas as well, but now i'm on "King o' the Hill" 'bot mode.

Dave K

(sigh)

Chris