 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5933
Re: Steve H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:20:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug writes:

Or maybe it does.  I guess it's possible people have shown up at events
thinking, "I just hope my robot is not as bad as Chris'."

I think that may be like the "sumo event" of rtlToronto: Beating Chris.
Everyone can do, just try! :)

There are a couple ways to make a good competition.  One way is to pick a
very difficult task, and see if ANYONE can accomplish it.  Another is to
pick an easy task, and see who can accomplish it the best/fastest.

It's like racing a car.  How hard can it be to drive a car around a track
500 times?  I mean, really.  I could do that on my bicycle.  Ok, so I
couldn't do it at 200 mph (320kph), but I can accomplish the goal.

We usually do the former, I'd like to think.  Problem is, people in our
group often will drive the former into the latter.  ie, take a difficult
task (Project X) and all of a sudden EVERYONE can accomplish it, so it
becomes who can do it best/fastest (AntiX times)

I think the 'difficult task' competition is much more "Man against
machine/challenge", while the other is more "Man against Man".

The 'difficult task' is more suited to an engineer's mind.  "How can I do
this?" without respect to what anyone else is doing.  As an engineer myself,
I'd say most of us would prefer not to talk with other people.  Just leave
me in my cube with my pointy ears and Palm (pilot), and I'll be happy.

As an engineer as well, I think we need to look at both.  One can't sit and
design alone-no engineer does that these days.  Technically great products
often don't succeed primarily because they were designed and fielded in
isolation (eg, Beta) without understanding what others in the market are doing.

Part of game is pre-event on this NG, dinners before the event, where people
show their ideas.  If Bruce comes to a dinner with a robot or Iain posts his
concepts online, you learn from their ideas and think of ways around them.

Don't worry about me.  I don't need protected any more than Chris does.  But
thanks, Calum.

I think I forgot to put a smilie in my last post.  That turns insults into
funny comments, right?  :)

I think you've tuned in real good to rtlToronto: We pick on everyone :)

Calum