 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5910
Re: Steve H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 04:26:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
In some other thread, A very cool FORMER honorary RTLToronto member who
shall remain nameless lets call him  Steve H.

Well, as long as no one's pointing fingers...

said this in response to questions about lego robot games:

Currently, this: http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/ is still the best one
around.  They have good prizes, tough competition, and no entry fee.

when I followed the link to see what was so special about these games,
they were JUST boring same-old-anyone-can-do-them sumo   and line
following.  BAH!

I doubt this is really relevant, but you may want to include the question
that prompted this remark:

" All this talk of line following competitions has got me interested.
Does anyone know if there are any such competitions in or around Minnesota?"

The questions appears to be more specific than "lego robot games".

I know this is hard to believe, but a lot of beginners actually find line
following and sumo fun.

Chris is right, these events are pretty boring.  I mean, in the last six
months, I've entered five of those "same-old-anyone-can-do-them sumo"
events, and I just end up with more crap to store in my LEGO room.  Twice in
that time, I had to figure out how to re-organize my collection to store
another RIS, and the other times I had to add in a bunch of other parts that
used to be trophies.

(shakes head)

What's that sound?

I guess we will forever stay the "unknown" cool lug from some country
that does not take credit cards.

I don't think any of those things are true...

I mean, lets compare.

We have cool prizes!!  (the big Yoda, RIS expansion sets, bi-planes of
all flavours)

Yes, I'd much rather have an RIS expansion set, instead of another RIS.

We do not charge an entry fee --

That's like, 'no entry fee', right?

and how much more tough can we make out contests...

Not the contests.  The competition.  Now, I've only been to one RTL event,
and maybe I didn't understand the actual goal, but when the rules suggest
putting blocks on top of each other, well... a robot that flings blocks
across the table is not really much competition.

(except the monkey one cause someone cant be bothered to find the back

hmm.  Now that's an interesting statement.

I'm stunned. I just don't know what to say.  I vote that we have some
sort of screening process for all future honorary RTLToronto members.

I second that.  This type of person should not be allowed in this group.

And, while we're at it, a really good group begins with solid leadership,
right.  Well, I would question the skills of anyone who would post a message
to a LEGO newsgroup with the heading "I can't build"

nameless.