 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5710
Re: rtlToronto12 Results and Notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:53:39 GMT

Hi folks,

By traditional rtlToronto scoring, 2 points for a win, 1 each for a tie, and
0 for a loss, the rankings were:

1. Dave Koudys (Stoney Creek, Ontario)
2. Bruce Sheridan (Mississauga, Ontario)
  Ka-On Lee (Ottawa, Ontario)
  Trevyn Watson (Ottawa, Ontario)
3. Steve Hassenplug (Lafayette, Indiana) and Rob Stehlik (Toronto, Ontario)
LAST: Chris Magno (Etobicoke, Ontario)

Dave wins a very cool 10024 Red Baron, donated by Lego Direct.

If you tallied up everyone's scores based on the geometric tower height
scores, over the course of the day, the rankings were:

1. Dave Koudys ((2x6t)+3t+2t=31 points)
2. Bruce Sheridan (3t+3t+5t=14 points)
3. Ka-On Lee (3t+3t+3t=9 points)
4. Trevyn Watson (3t+2t=5 points)
  Steve Hassenplug and Rob Stehlik (4t=5 points)
LAST: Chris Magno (0t=0 points)

As a comparison, my Canon Elura40 camcorder or the Crayola marker that both
stacked 0t towers would garner the same rankings as Chris' robot using
either scoring method.

The tallest rtlToronto stack so far is a single 9t tower by Bruce Sheridan
at rtlToronto7: The Plastic Dust is Normal.

We might want to more carefully analyse the scoring in future games-With a
larger field of competitors, the spread in actual scores over the course of
the day is much wider.  My brain is shot right now, but the traditional
method allows for consistent robots to win instead in normal contests, but
in this game, due to the geometric scoring and difficulty of taller stacks,

Email me to get me your digital photos somehow. Thanks!

Calum

Well, I had a great time--even if I was completely incoherent...

But there's nothing new with that.

The 'bots that were there were inspirational--even Chris's 'bot.  I just
wish I took more pics... oh well.

More than that... who knows.

Saturday morning I'm sitting at the local coffee shop with my Winonian
friends, talking about EQ, WW, and the 'bot competition.  At that time
(arond 8 a.m.) the 'bot was completely untested 'cause it wasn't working at all.

So then I drive to The Big Smoke, sit down, tinker with the 'bot, and came
up with a few idears to fixum da problems...
Thanks goodness Calum pushed the start of the competition back to 2 p.m.

So, more tinkering and finagling, and lo and behold, a completely
non-functioning bot for the first round.

Slight improvememnt in the second bout (3 blocks)

somewhat larger improvemetn in the third bout (2x6 :) )

and then back to 2 blocks in the 4th and get 2ish...

It was fun to watch all the difernt 'bots--Ka-On's grabber and 'long arm of
hte law' 'bot was great fun, Steve and Rob's sweeper 'bot vacuumed up any
block in the field, Trev's ;bot with the pneumatics again--very neat, and
Bruce... Well, Bruce's 'bot was the most consistant out there.

Can't wait to do it again sometime.

Oh wait, we are in March :)

Thanks to Chris and Calum for running the event.  Again showing that when
you have a passion for a hobby, things fall into place.

Still very tired...

Dave K.