 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5242
  Trebuchet Fun

Hey folks, Iain came by today and we ended up building a floating arm trebuchet to see what it would be like. In about an hour, we put together the model after using references from trebuchet.com. Iain figured out the layout of the mechanism and we (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Trebuchet Fun

3 words.... Too Much Time!!! Absolutely loved it!! Now I'm inspired! Dave K (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Trebuchet Fun

  Re: Trebuchet Fun

(...) I think it was the most fun I've had with LEGO in ages! We had the most difficulty with the sling (whatever it's called) - geting it to release. If you go through the video frame by frame and watch the release carefully you can see how it (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Trebuchet Fun

(...) If I remember correctly from "Junkyard Wars" (another US tv show) the pin you used to hold/release the sling should in fact be a hook. And the angle of the hook would change the angle of release. So, with the design in the video, you could (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Trebuchet Fun

(...) ... that takes a rather limited view of trebuchet optimization, doesn't it? ;) Suddenly I'm envisioning little seeker robots who roam around, trying to locate the target (presumably, other peoples' trebuchets?). Once located, the information (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Trebuchet Fun

(...) <snip> Wow, looks like fun! A few comments to improve it, if you're interested: You'll want to start with the arm as close to inverted as possible; this gives a longer stretch of acceleration. You'll need to think about some means to change (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Trebuchet Fun

Calum i am now SO very sorry that I could not come out and join you for lobbing grapes. As a one off event to try in your back yard this looks like fun. BUT i want to warn people that as an RTLToronto event I don't want to see anyone get hurt. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Trebuchet Fun

Manganel. I tried building one out of lego, using the bungee from the 8205 Bungee Blaster, but it didn't work very well. It might have worked better if i'd had a sling instead of just a cup, but that would have taken more time/energy than i was (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Trebuchet Fun

(...) Well duh :) We had to kick it out enough that it would overcome the startup friction of draging the grape along the slide bed, as well as having enough tension to collapse the stiff sling-material to a point where it would clear the structure. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)